From St. Gallen to Lucerne
The gentle side of Switzerland: It’s not all 4,000-metre mountains and deep ravines. On the Voralpen-Express, visitors discover a different kind of Switzerland – undulating hills, picturesque villages and lovely orchards.
The Voralpen-Express, operating hourly between Central and Eastern Switzerland, is the most beautiful combination of nature and culture. The copper-coloured train passes the impressive upland moor in Rothenthurm, continues through the rolling Toggenburg, and finally crosses the Sitter Viaduct – possibly Switzerland’s highest railway viaduct.
- Leg: St. Gallen – Arth-Goldau – Rapperswil – Wattwil – St. Gallen
- Distance: 125 km
- Duration: 2 h 15 min
- Website: Voralpen-Express
- Year-round operation
- Operates in both directions at hourly intervals
- This route is fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass (Flex) and GA travelcard.
- Seat reservation available for individual travellers
- Seat reservation required for groups of 10 or more persons (no surcharge)