From Interlaken to Montreux
The GoldenPass Express redefines the travel experience between Interlaken and Montreux.
On one of Switzerland’s most picturesque train routes, the GoldenPass Express provides a seamless and comfortable travel experience. The new panoramic train of the Montreux Oberland Bernois Railway Company will run between Interlaken and Montreux up to four times a day (from June 2023), offering uninterrupted views of the breathtaking panorama.
Update 26 Feb 2023: Currently, the GoldenPass Express is operating only between Montreux and Zweisimmen. This is due to a technical issue on the stretch between Zweisimmen and Interlaken Ost.
The new travel class “Prestige” is the centrepiece of the new train. The exclusive travel class offers discerning travellers everything they expect from an unforgettable train journey: plenty of privacy, maximum comfort in a small compartment, and an exceptional culinary offering.
Guests in Prestige can make themselves comfortable on the luxurious and heated leather seats, which can be rotated 180 degrees by train attendants upon request. Prestige is also elevated by 40 cm compared to the other travel classes, giving guests an even better view of the fascinating scenery and allowing them to fully immerse themselves in it.
Local and international delicacies can be ordered in advance, ensuring a perfect start to an exciting journey. For example, how about a glass of champagne and a portion of the finest caviar from Frutigen in Switzerland? Those who prefer to pamper their palate with rustic delicacies won’t be disappointed with the mountain plate or a vegetarian alternative.
Select food services must be pre-ordered for all 3 classes.
World-famous places, three regions
The journey on the GoldenPass Express is like a foray through Switzerland. The trip starts in picturesque Interlaken and continues via Gstaad, Château-d’Oex and Montbovon to Montreux, the journey’s final stop. Of course, guests can also start their trip in Montreux.
The GoldenPass Express is a world-first and a Swiss masterstroke. After all, the idea of connecting Interlaken and Montreux without needing to change trains originated more than 100 years ago. The project never materialised, however, because of the different track gauges of the respective sections of the line.
But this seemingly impossible challenge could now be solved by an ingenious invention. The thinking at the time: if the track width could not be changed, the rolling stock must adapt. The innovative bogie on the train ensures that the train wheels can adjust to the new track width and platform height in a matter of seconds.
The GoldenPass Express is not only a source of celebration among guests with an affinity for technology; the design is equally impressive. The form factor of the unmistakable train front bears the signature of the renowned Italian design studio Pininfarina. Innova Design oversaw the interior and some exterior elements of this new train.
- Leg: Montreux – Interlaken Ost (or vice versa)
- Distance: 115 km
- Duration: 3 h 15 min
- Website: GoldenPass Express
Facilities on the train
- Panorama coaches in 1st and 2nd class as well as in Prestige
- Luggage racks and ski fixtures
- Individually adjustable seats with seat warmer and footrest
- Seats can be rotated by the train crew to always face forward
- Immersive travel experience thanks to a seat level elevated by 40 cm
- Service to the seat, enhanced catering offer
- Catering options for individual travellers and groups to be pre-ordered at seat reservation
- Reservation possible up to 2 days prior to travel date
- Selection of snacks and beverages available on board
Year-round operation between Chur and St. Moritz and to Tirano. From February to November, additional operation of the Bernina Express Bus between Tirano and Lugano.
- Year-round operation
- Daily departures from Montreux and Interlaken Ost
This route is fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass (Flex) and GA travel card
Reservation and surcharges
- Fully included in Swiss Travel Pass (Flex), 50 % discount with Swiss Half Fare Card, fully included in Eurail / Interrail
- Seat reservation required and at a surcharge in Prestige and recommended in 1st and 2nd class. Reservations via B2B-Webshop. Access upon request via [email protected]
- Seat reservation for groups of 10 or more people required and at a surcharge. Offer upon request.