From Zermatt to St. Moritz
Deep ravines, high passes, shimmering mountains, sparkling lakes, idyllic mountain villages, 291 bridges and 91 tunnels: the Glacier Express offers all of this and more during its delightful journey of just under eight hours. In over 90 years, this classic among the Swiss panoramic trains has never ceased to amaze its passengers.
The Glacier Express offers a journey for the senses – from the Engadine to the Matterhorn. On its relaxing drive from dazzling St. Moritz to equally sophisticated Zermatt, the Glacier Express delights travellers with scenic attractions and technical state-of-the-art achievements.
With its oversized panoramic windows, the Glacier Express opens up unobstructed views of unique landscapes.
The Excellence is the premium class of the Glacier Express. It impresses with its high-quality full service offer and its modern design. Guests are being treated to a truly exceptional journey across the Swiss Alps while marvelling at the fantastic panorama.
Thanks to comfortable lounge seating, each traveller enjoys a window seat. Excellence Class offers personal travel guidance, a trendy bar area, a premium multi-course lunch and many more amenities – all included.
- Leg: St. Moritz – Zermatt (or vice versa)
- Distance: 291 km
- Duration: 8 h 3 min
- Website: Glacier Express
Facilities on the train
- Panoramic coaches, tables and air-conditoning in 1st and 2nd class as well as Excellence Class.
- Power outlets at each table and sun protection films on roof windows
- One available wheelchair space on Glacier Express and one wheelchair-accessible toilet in 1st class. Reservation at the station counter or via travel agency no later than 24 hours prior to departure
- Touristic announcements via headphones (GE, EN, IT, FR, CN, JP); free headphones, information brochure, and two music channels available
- Modern passenger information system with integrated infotainment (GE, FR, EN, IT, JP, CN, KOR, THAI)
- Receipt of a Glacier Express certificate on presentation of the ticket at the railway stations of Zermatt, Andermatt or St. Moritz
- Dogs are not permitted onboard the Glacier Express
- 1st and 2nd class: lunch served at the seat, three-course meal CHF 49, daily menu CHF 36, à la carte options
- Excellence Class: 6-course menu at the seat, wine pairing, soft drinks, mineral water, and coffee included
- Winter: 10 Dec 2022–12 May 2023
- Summer: 13 May–15 Oct 2022
This route is fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass (Flex) and GA travel card.
Seat surcharge per person and direction, seat reservation required:
- 10 Dec 2022 – 12 May 2023: long section CHF 39, short section* CHF 29
- 13 May – 15 Oct 2023: long section CHF 49, short section* CHF 39
*short sections are:
- St. Moritz – Chur – St. Moritz
- Chur – Andermatt – Chur
- Andermatt – Brig – Andermatt
- Brig – Zermatt – Brig
Excellence Class (10 Dec 2022–15 Oct 2023, except from 27 Mar– 14 Apr 2023)
Surcharge on 1st class ticket: CHF 470. Seat reservation is required for each Excellence Class guest including children up to 16 years of age. Fare: 1st class ticket plus seat reservation. Prices subject to change.