From Lugano/Bellinzona to Chur
This premium panoramic train connects the north of Europe to its south – leading right through the UNESCO World Heritage Site of the Rhaetian Railways. Without a hitch, the bright red train masters every ascent, offering unrivalled views not only of mountains and glaciers but also of palm trees.
Crossing the Alps in the Bernina Express certainly is one of the most spectacular ways to do it. Along the way, the Bernina Express rolls Hollywood-style over the 65-metre-high Landwasser Viaduct, the signature structure of the Rhaetian Railway and the UNESCO World Heritage site.
Altogether the train passes through 55 tunnels and over 196 bridges on its way from Chur to Tirano. Travellers are treated to marvellous sights during their journey, like the Montebello curve with a view of the Bernina massif, the Morteratsch glacier, the three lakes Lej Pitschen, Lej Nair and Lago Bianco, the Alp Grüm and the Brusio Circular Viaduct.
A beautiful Bernina Express gift box filled with Lindt chocolate hearts and 100% organic ice tea awaits the customer.
In summer, the journey can be extended from Tirano to Lugano aboard the Bernina Express bus.
Bernina Express (train)
- Leg: Chur/St. Moritz – Tirano (Italy)
- Distance: 144 km
- Duration: between 4 h and 4 h 30 min
Bernina Express Bus
- Leg: Tirano (Italy) – Lugano
- Distance: 90 km
- Duration: 3 h
Website: Bernina Express
Facilities on the train
- Large panoramic windows in 1st as well as 2nd class
- One wheelchair space on Bernina Express and one wheelchair- accessible toilet in 1st class. Passengers with reduced mobility need a 2nd class ticket. Fellow passengers need a 1st class ticket except when holding a Swiss companion card
- For reservations, please contact Railservice: +41 (0)81 288 65 65
- Route information over loudspeaker
- Info(t)rainment: personal Bernina Express digital tour guide with audio guide in GE, EN, IT, FR, JP and CN simplified; free download with smartphone or tablet
- Exclusive catering service for each passenger; Bernina Express gift box filled with Lindt chocolate hearts and 100% organic ice tea
- No dining cars on Bernina Express trains
- Regional snacks, drinks, and souvenirs available on all trains
Year-round operation between Chur and St. Moritz and to Tirano. From February to November, additional operation of the Bernina Express Bus between Tirano and Lugano.
This route is fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass (Flex) and GA travel card
Reservation and surcharges
Seat surcharge per person and direction; reservation required on both train and bus. Reservation surcharge Bernina Express (Train):
- Surcharge winter season (11 Dec 2022 – 28 Feb 2023: CHF 10 / 01 Nov – 9 Dec 2023): CHF 20
- Surcharge shoulder season (01 Mar – 31 May / 01 – 31 Oct 2023): CHF 24
- Surcharge summer season (01 Jun – 30 Sep 2023): CHF 26
- Passport or ID required for border crossing into Italy
- Between St. Moritz and Tirano, panoramic coaches with seats at a reduced surcharge of CHF 5 are regularly added to regional trains
On 3 June 1973, the first Bernina Express train tackled the legendary Albula and Bernina Line. Since then, roughly 10 million guests have enjoyed the comfortable panoramic coaches. In 2023, the Rhaetian Railways are celebrating their 50th anniversary with various jubilee events.