At the very heart of Switzerland, a world record-holding technical innovation awaits: the world’s steepest funicular leads from Schwyz up to Stoos.
Since 2017, the world’s steepest funicular has been leading up to the mountain village of Stoos from Schwyz, inspiring passengers from far and wide. The innovative technology makes it possible for the cabins to adapt perfectly to the incline, allowing guests to arrive at the top in complete comfort – despite a 110 % gradient.
Nestling in the Alpine landscape of Central Switzerland, the small holiday village of Stoos sits at roughly 1,300 metres altitude. With the new funicular, 1,500 passengers can be transported hourly – some 500 more than with the old funicular. That’s thanks to the short travel time of three to five minutes.
- Altitude when arriving at the Stoos Railway summit station: 1,300 m a.s.l
- Arrival: from Schwyz by funicular (4 to 7 minutes), from Morschach by cableway (7 minutes)
- Attractions: world’s steepest funicular, summer and winter hiking in the Stoos-Muotatal region, incl. panoramic circular walks (between 30 min and 2 h 30 min), skiing
- Special highlight: leisure activities
- Website: Stoos
- Year-round operation; please take note of revision dates in spring and autumn;
- Arrival at the mountain village Stoos, via Schwyz or Morschach, guaranteed 365 days/year.
- Fully covered by Swiss Travel Pass (Flex)
- 50% discount with Swiss Half Fare Card
- No discount with Eurail / Interrail