Guests visiting the Schynige Platte, located right at the heart of the Jungfrau region, on the historic cog railway instantly feel carried back to the Belle Époche. The wooden benches in the coaches of the nostalgic train as well as the vintage rolling stock dating from the nineteenth century exude the flair of times long past and revive the spirit of a bygone era.
The mountain station at 1,967 metres a.s.l. is the starting point for various delightful circular hikes. It’s also home to the Alpine garden with some 650 plant species. The magnificent view can best be savoured from the panorama restaurant “Schynige Platte”, where guests are treated to delicious Swiss specialities as well as international dishes.
- Altitude: 2,076 m a.s.l.
- Arrival: From Interlaken Ost by train to Wilderswil, then change to cog railway
- Travel duration to summit: 52 minutes
- Attractions: Open-coach drive on the steep cog railway, free admission to Botanic Alpine Garden with roughly 650 plant species, new walking tour “Four Elements Path” on Schynige Platte, Lily’s treasure hunt
- Special highlight: Day hike from Faulhorn–Grindelwald/First (6 h 10 min), daily musical entertainment of Alphorn blowers, nature cinema and small railway exhibition in the mountain hotel Schynige Platte, barbeque area and leisurely panorama circular hiking trails (between 30 min and 2 h 30 min), nostalgic steam train rides
- Website: Schynige Platte
- Mountain hotel with restaurant and spacious sun terrace
- Snack-hut directly at the Schynige Platte station
- “Bistro Breitlauenen” (intermediate station)
Operates daily from 01 Jul – 22 Oct 2023
- 50% discount with Swiss Travel Pass (Flex) and Swiss Half Fare Card
- 25% discount with Eurail / Interrail