The arrival by cableway immediately reveals a stunning view of the highest mountain giants of the Valais and – most certainly – of the mountain of mountains: the Matterhorn. It is an ideal starting point for experienced hikers in summer and offers access to several ski slopes in winter.
The “Peak Collection” theme walk around the Restaurant Rothorn is one of a kind. This extraordinary outdoor exhibition, displaying 18 sculptures, connects visitors on an artistic level to the Alpine world of Zermatt. The world-renowned Lake Stellisee, at 2,537 metres altitude, reflects the iconic Matterhorn on its glassy surface and is Zermatt’s most photographed mountain lake. From Blauherd, it is only a 20-minute walk to Lake Stellisee.
- Altitude: 3,103 m a.s.l.
- Arrival: Train from Brig/Visp to Zermatt, on foot or by free e-bus (green line) to the valley station Sunnegga-Rothorn
- Travel duration to summit: 25 minutes from Zermatt
- Attractions: Unique view of the Matterhorn, Starting point to numerous themed hiking trails (e.g. Five Lakes Walk, Path to Freedom, Flower Trail), Moonlight descent in winter
- Special highlight: Sunrise rides including Älpler breakfast every Tuesday during summer
- Website: Rothorn
- Mountain restaurant “Pizzeria-Ristorante Rothorn” offering Italian specialities
- Kiosk Blauherd for tickets, information, souvenirs, snacks and beverages
- Catering and accommodation facilities on Fluhalp
- 50% discount with Swiss Travel Pass (Flex) and Swiss Half Fare Card
- No discount with Eurail / Interrail
- Children up to their 9th birthday travel free of charge