This mountain is a realm of adventures – 365 days a year. At the heart of Central Switzerland, located right between Lake Lucerne and Lake Zug, Mount Rigi is perfect to access from all sides. Simply by train, bus and boat to the foot of the mountain and then up by cableway or cog railway.
In 1871, Europe’s first mountain railway made it to this striking viewing point. Today, two cog railways – one from Vitznau and one from Arth-Goldau – travel to the Rigi Kulm and its summit hotel. From Weggis, an aerial cableway leads directly to Rigi-Kaltbad. The summit view onto 13 lakes, into the Alps and towards the Black Forrest delights guests from near and far.
Fusions railway rides – from historical to modern times.
The Rigi Railways use historic trains on the line from Arth-Goldau to Rigi Kulm daily. Visitors enjoy this singular experience of riding up the Queen of the Mountains in well-preserved vintage coaches. Afterward, take a brand new, sustainable train back down to Vitznau
- Altitude: 1,797 m a.s.l.
- Arrival: Boat or bus to Vitznau, continuing on the cog railway to Rigi Kulm; train or bus to Art-Goldau, continuing on the cog railway to Rigi Kulm; boat or bus to Weggis, continuing on the areal cableway to Rigi Kaltbad.
- Travel duration to summit: 33 minutes from Vitznau to Rigi Kulm; 37 minutes from Goldau to Rigi Kulm; 10 minutes from Weggis to Rigi Kulm.
- Attractions: Queen of the Mountains Round Trip: Luzern–Vitznau–Rigi Kulm–Arth-Goldau–Luzern, Mineral bath & spa at Rigi Kaltbad offering a unique view of the mountain world
- Website: Rigi Railways
- Catering options in 25 restaurants on the mountain – from fast-food to gourmet restaurants
- Over a dozen accommodation facilities
- Various souvenir shops and snack bars
- Fully covered by Swiss Travel Pass (Flex)
- 50% discount with Swiss Half Fare Card
- 50% discount with Eurail / Interrail