The world’s steepest cog railway starts its climb at Alpnachstad and tackles a maximum gradient of 48 percent, thereby passing forests, meadows and rock faces. On the north side, a gondola cableway and an aerial cableway connect Kriens to Pilatus Kulm.
With the aerial cableway Dragon Ride, guests are practically flying up to Pilatus. It takes the cableway a mere 3.5 minutes to reach Pilatus (2,132 m a.s.l.) from the intermediate station Fräkmüntegg (1,416 m a.s.l.). Thanks to spacious seating, a cockpit-like structure and large windows, the cableway offers a unique view of Lucerne and its lake.
- Altitude: 2,132 m a.s.l.
- Arrival: Gondola from Kriens (Lucerne) via Krienseregg to Fräkmuntegg, aerial cableway to Pilatus Kulm or cog railway (only during summer) from Alpnachstad (boat or train from Lucerne) to Pilatus Kulm
- Travel duration to summit: app. 40 minutes
- Attractions: Historic mountain hotel Pilatus-Kulm at 2,132 metres (6,995 feet), Golden round trip Luzern – Kriens – Fräkmüntegg – Pilatus Kulm – Alpnachstad – Luzern (by bus, aerial cableway, cog railway and boat)
- Special highlight: The world’s steepest cog railway from Alpnachstad to Pilatus (48 % gradient), spectacular passage “Eselwand”, interactive round tour “Dragon World”
- Website: Pilatus
- Restaurant Krienseregg and restaurant Chalet
- Historic mountain hotel Pilatus-Kulm at 2,132 metres (6,995 feet) a.s.l.
- Year-round operation from Kriens, except during revision from 23 Oct–10 Nov 2023
- Cog railway operates from 18 May–19 Nov 2023
- 50% discount with Swiss Travel Pass (Flex) and Swiss Half Fare Card
- 50% discount with Eurail / Interrail
- Reservation strongly recommended for the cog railway. Reservations in the amount of CHF 5 per person and ride online