The world’s steepest cog railway starts its climb at Alpnachstad and tackles a maximum gradient of 48 percent, thereby passing forests, meadows and rock faces. On the north side, a gondola cableway and an aerial cableway connect Kriens to Pilatus Kulm.
With the aerial cableway Dragon Ride, guests are practically flying up to Pilatus. It takes the cableway a mere 3.5 minutes to reach Pilatus (2,132 m a.s.l.) from the intermediate station Fräkmüntegg (1,416 m a.s.l.). Thanks to spacious seating, a cockpit-like structure and large windows, the cableway offers a unique view of Lucerne and its lake.
- Altitude: 2,132 m a.s.l.
- Bus number 1 from Lucerne Station to Kriens / Zentrum Pilatus
- Gondola from Kriens (Lucerne) via Krienseregg to Fräkmuntegg, aerial cableway to Pilatus Kulm or cog railway (only during summer) from Alpnachstad (boat or train from Lucerne) to Pilatus Kulm
- Travel duration to summit: 40 minutes
- Top Attractions:
- World’s steepest cog railway (48 % gradient) from Alpnachstad to Pilatus Kulm
- Cliff walk and secured trails to the viewpoint Oberhaupt
- Golden Round Trip: Luzern – Kriens – Fräkmüntegg – Pilatus Kulm – Alpnachstad – Luzern (bus, cableway, and boat)
- Rope park and summer toboggan run Fräkmüntegg
- Website: Pilatus