Monte Generoso, Capolago
Near the Italian border, the scenic outpost on Monte Generoso waits to be explored. With 1,704 metres altitude, it not only is the highest mountain of the Canton of Ticino but also offers a magnificent all-around scenic experience.
The ideal destination for free spirits who love nature, architecture, mountain railways and breathtaking landscapes. But also for those who prioritise respect for the environment and enjoy the delight of the best local food and wine connected to the region and its traditions.
Visitors meet with a 360° panoramic view of the Swiss and Savoy Alps, scenic hiking paths, an observatory and the most exquisite architecture. Right next to the summit station, Mario Botta’s masterpiece “Fiore di petra” (stone flower) is located – the new landmark of the mountain. Passengers can admire the building already from afar while approaching by cog railway over the nine kilometre long line leading from Capolago at Lake Lugano to the summit. During the summer, visitors can also choose to travel up the mountain on a nostalgic steam train. The lower station can be reached conveniently by boat or railway.
- Altitude: 1,704 m a.s.l.
- Arrival: From Lugano by train to Capolago-Riva San Vitale, change to cogwheel train
- Travel duration to summit: 40 minutes from Capolago
- Accessibility: All trains, Kulm summit station, and “Fiore di pietra” are wheelchair-accessible (reservation required)
- Attractions: The only cogwheel railway in Ticino, “Fiore di pietra” building by Mario Botta, 360° panorama terrace, 51 km of hiking trails
- Special highlight: “Bear’s den”, app. 30 minutes from the summit station
- Website: Monte Generoso