A mountain of distinction: not only is the Jungfraujoch home to Europe’s highest situated railway station (3,454 m/11,332 ft a.s.l.), it also belongs to the UNESCO World Heritage Site “Swiss Alps Jungfrau-Aletsch”. The ascent on either the “Eiger Express” 3S cableway or the modern cog railway is already an unforgettable experience.
The tunnel leading up from the station Eigergletscher is seven kilometres in length and was built between 1896 and 1912. A stop within the tunnel offers spectacular views onto the glacier world outside through windows in the Eiger North Face. On the summit, visitors are greeted by a high-Alpine wonder world made of ice, snow and rocks. All of this can be marvelled at from the viewing platforms “Sphinx” and “Plateau” on the Aletsch glacier or from the “Ice Palace”.
- Altitude: 3,454 m a.s.l.
- Arrival: From Interlaken Ost with change of trains at Grindelwald/Lauterbrunnen and Kleine Scheidegg. From Interlaken Ost with change at the Grindelwald Terminal and Eiger Glacier station (incl. 3S cableway). The Wengernalp railway operates year-round at 30-minute intervals (subject to change)
- Travel duration to summit: 1 h 36 min
- Attractions: Nine kilometres of railway track from Kleine Scheidegg, close to 1,400 metres in altitude, a little over seven kilometres within the mountain tunnel; Ice Palace, Sphinx viewing terrace at 3,571 metres (11,716 feet) altitude, walks in the eternal snow, Chocolate adventure shop “Lindt Swiss Chocolate Heaven”, Snow Fun Park – adventurous cool-down time
- Special highlights: Europe’s highest-altitude station at 3,454 m a.s.l., Europe’s highest-altitude post office with its own area code (3801), Aletsch Glacier – at 23 kilometres the longest Alpine glacier, Eiger Express, 47 minutes faster to the Jungfraujoch
- Website: Jungfraujoch
- Refreshments available in various restaurants on the Jungfraujoch (Bollywood Indian Restaurant, self-service restaurant Aletsch, Crystal à la Carte, etc.)
- Wengernalp Railway timetable
- Wengernalp railway operates year-round at 30-minute intervals (subject to change)
- Eiger Express operates year-round except during revision from 06–11 Nov 2023.
- 25% discount with Swiss Travel Pass (Flex) from Wengen/Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch
- 25% discount with Eurail/Interrail from Interlaken Ost to Jungfraujoch
- 50% discount with Swiss Half Fare Card from Interlaken Ost to Jungfraujoch
- Online seat reservation Kleine Scheidegg–Jungfraujoch and back, or Eiger Glacier–Jungfraujoch and back is recommended in the high season