The Gornergrat is clearly on the must-see list of Swiss highlights. The cog railway takes guests from Zermatt station up to a lofty altitude of 3,089 metres (10,135 feet). The ride alone offers countless picture postcard scenes: the Matterhorn, chalets typical of the Valais, and a stunning mountain panorama.
Surrounded by no fewer than 29 4,000-metre giants such as the majestic Matterhorn and the Dufourspitze as well as the third-longest glacier of the Alps, Gornergrat rewards visitors with a view that is overwhelming indeed.
The Gornergrat is among those locations that one must have visited at least once in a lifetime. Europe’s highest open-air cog railway takes guests from Zermatt station directly to the summit of the Gornergrat, year-round. The railway conquers a total of 1,469 metres altitude in the process and leads across impressive bridges, through galleries and tunnels, past larch-and-pine forests, rocky ravines and mountain lakes.
- Altitude: 3,089 m a.s.l.
- Arrival: Train from Brig/Visp to Zermatt, valley station of the Gornergrat Railway located directly opposite Zermatt railway station
- Travel duration to summit: 33 min to the top / 44 min back
- Attractions: Best view of the Matterhorn, world-famous Matterhorn reflection on Lake Riffelsee (visible in calm weather), unique mountain panorama of 29 breathtaking 4,000-metre (13,000-feet) summits
- Special highlight: Multimedia adventure world – “Zooom the Matterhorn”
- Website: Gornergrat
- Shopping mall and restaurant on the Gornergrat
- More mountain restaurants and hotels at the intermediate stations
- Year-round operation
- In the high season (June–October and December–April), trains leave every 24 minutes halting at every stop (Findelbach, Riffelalp, Riffelberg, Rotenboden)
- 50% discount with Swiss Travel Pass (Flex), Swiss Half Fare Card and GA travelcard
- No discount with Eurail / Interrail
- Priority Boarding available year-round
- Dogs may be taken along without surcharge